SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 4

Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 13:54:48 CST
> The feeling on leaving the theatre was that there were no easy answers.
> The film made no statement about political correctness, about how it was

>(1) Is it appropriate to discuss drag queens vis-a-vis political
>correctness? It seems to me that camp sidesteps such questions by
>completely inhabiting them; that is, to say that PRISCILLA avoids the
>p.c. issue is like saying that a Tom Clancy novel doesn't promote
>capitalist ideology.

OK, try this - Priscilla doesn't advocate queer politics directly. It
displays the characters in a human context, and by doing so the audience
is subtly urged to accept queers as normal - rather than try and create
a seperate space and vocabulary and gnawing at anyone who "appropriates"
the space and vocabulary.

>(2) Is the term "P.C." here being used in its earlier, queer/lesbian
>context, or its appropriated right-wing context?

It is being used in *my* context/ How's that for appropriation? And
are you absolutely certain you didn't leave out any other versions of
"politically correct" that others have appropriated.

If you ask me, The elaboration of question #2 is silly.

>(3) And certainly the portrait of Pilipina women was not politically
>correct under any definition.

No - but remember that I said the nice thing about Priscilla is that it isn't
P.C. The woman is psychotic.

J Roberson