SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 3

From:
Laurence Adelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 19:30:36 CST
Andy Miller writes:

>It's a problem of resources, and also scheduling.  As an undergraduate
> I saw films every week, including "BRIGHTNESS", which I would LOVE to
>hear about on this list... but since hitting grad school the theater is
>a luxury I can't afford.  Still: there is the distant memory of
>"BRIGHTNESS" (my first African film): I know so little about its
>context that I can only hope for some enlightenment from the list...

>The thing I remember most about "BRIGHTNESS" was the fascinating speech
>patterns: the characters not only tended to speak very deliberately
>compared to what I'm used to in films, but there was a constant stream
>of supportive nods and exclamations from the listener-- in this
>culture, they seemed to take communication VERY seriously.  For what
>it's worth, I've made my puny >attempt to recognize a marginalized
>voice...

I was just browsing through the my SCREEN-L messages when I came
across this message.  I work for California Newsreel which
distributes BRIGHTNESS (African title YEELEN) and 19 other
African films (features and documentaries).  In fact we've got
the most extensive collection of African Cinema in the country.
Unfortunately, our films are only available for educational rental and
purchase, but I'd be happy to snail mail anyone interested
a catalog/resource guide which contains detailed essays on
all the films including YEELEN (BRIGHTNESS).  Just e-mail me your
address and ask for our Library of African Cinema catalog.

Thanks,

Steve Guy
for California Newsreel
149 Ninth Street