SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 3

Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 1994 16:47:00 CST
As a fan of Jean-Louis Trintignant, largely as a result of my enthusiasm for
"My Night at Maud's," I just rented and viewed for the first time "The
Conformist" (1970; Bernardo Bertolucci), in which he plays an Italian whose
cowardice and lack of commitment are gradually revealed in what I take to be
the basic point of the plot. I was impressed by the style of the film, as
anyone would be, but perplexed by the plot and characterization, which
perhaps is not an unusual state to be left in after viewing one of
Bertolucci's films. Could someone who knows the film well comment on these
matters? Is the Dominique Sanda character in fact supposed to have been the
prostitute he once kissed but did not make love to? Are we to assume that
she is not particularly committd to her husband (the professor) but just
taking advantage of the good life in Paris? If she is to be sacrificed to
the Fascist's cowardice, I would think we would be expected to be sympathetic
to her, but this notion that she might be little more than a gold-digger
works against that. Thanks to any who might offer their opinions. Any fans
of Rohmer out there?

Dan Gribbin [log in to unmask]
Ferrum College
Ferrum, VA