SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 2

From:
"Dianne L. Brooks" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 1994 16:45:49 CST
Since I get the NY Times a day late I only just read Janet Maslin's
gushing review of Interview where she goes overboard justifying
Tom Cruise's casting?

I am soliciting comments on this film because I don't quite know what to
make of her analysis. Although the art direction etc. was good I did not
find that this casting worked, found
that the scenes between Cruise and Pitt betrayed the former's discomfort
with the homoerotic subtext and couldn't wait for him to be gone?

I liked Neil Jordon but in disagreement with Maslin I am afraid another
good one has indeed "gone Hollywood".

All comments welcomed...

Dianne