SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 1994 14:11:12 CST

I must say that I too was not overwhelmed by Frankenstein. As for Brannagh,
I don't believe he went overboard at all, he was far too tame. He
seemed afraid to portray Frankenstein in a negative light. He went
for a very safe and sympathetic performance. Some of the scenes were
absolutely hrrifying and terribly sad, but it was the situation which
made them so rather than the directing. I believe one should shiver
at the sight of Frankenstein's devotion to his cause... you should be
drawn in to what he says, believing him in a way, but all the while
knowing his thoughts are madness. A question of portraying obsession
without bounds... I didn't see that in Branagh's performance... he always
seemed very willing to abandon his project. And where was his delight
at discovering that his creature could read and talk? Not outright joy,
but I think there would have been a slight twinkle in his eye to know
his creation was learning! How amazing!
And I also found the soundtrack very distracting. Loud, dramatic swellings
of music at every turn. Along with talking in films (which I would
list as one of the most greivous faults of the cinematic world, expel
these traitors forever from public theaters!) I have found soundtracks
of late to be more and more self-aggrandizing without reason... anyone
else notice this trend towards the grand and operatic throughout entire films?

denis hennelly