SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 1

From:
Bohdan Nebesio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 1994 15:04:17 CST
On Sat, 5 Nov 1994 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> literary form."  Been asking around the Swedish and English departments
> here at the U of Karlstad if anyone has even heard of anyone anywhere using
> a screenplay as a literary source in a non film/theatre studies classroom,
> and I've yet to find an affirmative.

There is a long tradition of publishing screenplays (even before the
films were made if ever) in the Soviet Union. There was (is?) a special
Russian journal devoted to it. Another phenomenon from that part of the
world was a literary genre called cine-novel which has a long tradition
of being used in classrooms. It i s not exactly a screenplay but also not
exactly a literary genre. For example Alexander Dovzhenko wrote many
cine-novels when he could not make films. Some of them (Enchanted Desna)
are required readings in Ukrainian school curriculum. I know that similar
genre
exists in France (Robbe -Grillet wrote some) but don't know if they are
used in classroom.

Bohdan Y. Nebesio