SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 1

Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 1994 08:31:03 CST

Covey writes:
"I'm a bit confused by this "Generation X" topic.  Aren't "X" films a subset
of a generic category that is already in place--that of so-called YOUTH FILMS?
 If this is not the case, what criteria is used to define RUMBLEFISH (which was
 mentioned) as an X film when it was released before the general use of the
term and stars many young men who qualify as "tail-end" baby boomers, and is
directed by Francis Ford Coppola from a book by S.E. Hinton?
 Might this argument work better if you examined what defines an X film and how
such a film might differ from the vast array of preexisting youth films?  Jon
Lewis's recent Routledge book might be of some help too.
 Have I somehow missed the original definition of a Gen X movie?"

And what about retro-X movies?  I understand the kids these days are still
wild about that James Dean!

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN