SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 1

Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 1994 09:12:09 CST
Just got my new Norton Anthology of Am. Lit. in the mail, 4th Edition, Vol.
2, and noticed right away the inclusion of Mamet's screenplay "House of
Games."  The write-up on the back mentions it as an "increasingly important
literary form."  Been asking around the Swedish and English departments
here at the U of Karlstad if anyone has even heard of anyone anywhere using
a screenplay as a literary source in a non film/theatre studies classroom,
and I've yet to find an affirmative.

Naturally, everyone agrees that the use of a dramtic text (stage) in
literary studies is ancient and respectable.

No one I've talked to so far wants to fight it, afterall, these are the
days of the all-embracing canon restructuring, but most seem hesitant as
well.  These are the types of replies so far: "But screenplays are not
meant to be read," "Isn't there a lot of camera techno-babble?" "I suppose
this is another specialty arena we now have to consider including,"  and
"But how can you separate production from text?"  Most have never read a
published screenplay, not even a Bergman.

I'd like to hear from anyone out there with knowledge and/or experience of
the screenplay as a literary text.   Can anyone suggest books or articles
that pick up the issue?

Marcus Richey            [log in to unmask]
University of Karlstad, Sweden      English, American Studies