SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 1

From:
Corey Creekmur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 1994 09:00:01 CST
        Is there a more wonderful aquarium scene in all of cinema than the
one in LADY FROM SHANGHAI?  And do Esther Williams musicals deserve a
mention?  Someone has, I think, mentioned THE GRADUATE, but it's worth
noting as well that Nichols uses the 'Scope screen (and a car windshield,
and a scuba mask) and the aquarium as visual motifs.  There's a notable
fishtank (and color fish!) in RUMBLE FISH.  A fishtank gets licked by a cat
after a sex scene in DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN.  And finally, those who
know the codes of Hong Kong gangster films know that a scene beginning in a
restaurant with a large fish tank will almost always end with gunfire
exploding the tank and sending fish all over the floor (I recall this
happens in YEAR OF THE DRAGON, Cimino's awful film as well).
By the way, what was the point of all this fishtank spotting??