SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 1994 05:46:39 -0600
Responding to Randy's post about "filmmakers of the past

Just a couple of questions about things that weren't entirely clear to me:
(But first, a disclaimer) I would never argue that Welles wasn't a great
filmmaker, and I don't know if comparing Welles and Tarantino has any
relevance at this point, but
Is Coppola already a filmmaker of the past?
Is an extensive liberal arts education--knowledge of literature or even film
history--a prerequisite for great filmmaking? Besides, some of the really
early greats didn't have an extensive knowledge of film history b/c there
wasn't much to have.
Doesn't it seem that nearly everything about P.F. indicates a fair knowledge of
film/tv/pop culture history--at least American and French New Wave stuff?

Just curious, M3