SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Gloria Monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 1994 19:16:51 -0400
> The prominence
> of Cannes can be accounted for as a major market for worldwide distribution;

        OK, no reply to this one.  I was there to see what kind of deals
are cut.  It's like being in a bar on a Saturday night--meat market.  In
Venice they do retrospectives on all of Pasolini's work, for example.  I
guess it depends on personal taste.

a long-established reputation

        Longer than Venice?  The Venice Film Festival was established in
the Thirties.

and a nice
place to hangout on an
> expense account while catching up with old friends and business contacts.

        And Venice is *not* a nice place?  Please.
        *Vive l'Amour* and *Before the Rain* got the Golden Lion today.
I will have more info. on the other awards, if Screen-l is interested.
There was some talk that Oliver Stone might walk away with the Golden
Lion--luckily, it did not happen. :-)

        Gloria Monti >