SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Charley Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 1994 10:59:16 EDT
a  twist. my wife and i walked out of a 'new' thriller {trial by jury --
great name huh?} last night, couldn't STAND the
1) boring, horrible, tired production values and writing [tiresome credits
gave it away]
2) manipulation via "single mom with kid"- focused abuse and intimidation
Q: what are Assante, Hurt and Byrne doing in this dog?

well here was our joke/discussion.
she [my wife] is making fun of me for seeing NBK twice and liking it. and
that i can't stand films using children in danger to manipulate my
[admittedly] vulernable feelings of fatherhood. [adults can kill each other
that's ok : )]
so i'm ranting about how all this talk about violence and censorship [ref:
NBK discussions and banning violence on tv, etc] would totally unaffect this
kind of manipulative trash that's out there.
not that i think they should ban it, EXACTLY, but it just hit me that most of
these discussions [about what 'hurts' us and should be controlled] seem so
superficial and not getting to the POINT. What is the point? I don't get it
either.

how about banning manipulative mediocrity that uses fear of danger to
children as an obvious plot gimmick to hook me? now I could get behind that!