SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
James Tichenor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 1994 11:59:00 PDT
Hello,

I've been sampling the various cinematic hangouts on the net and must admit,
I haven't been knocked out...

Until now.

Congrats on creating a wonderful atmosphere of film appreciation, rather than
a puddle of drool over "the hottest new thing". This is a great list and
would like to say hello and ask, if you don't mind too much, if I can stay
awhile.

Me, I'm a writer in Vancouver, just recently getting my first TV credit on a
series called "The Odyssey", playing on CBC for all you Canucks (it's on
Channel 4 for the Brits, but has yet to sign in the States). It's a wonderful
show, very Jungian, about a young boys quest for his father through his
comatose mind.

Anyway, I'd like to ask you opinions on a young screenwriter named Steven
Zaillian. I'm sure you're all familiar with his work (script for Awakenings,
Schindler's List, Jack the Bear, Falcon and the Snowman, Patriot Games...)
but has anyone seen _Searching for Bobby Fisher_? I really believe Zaillian is a
major up and comer, and deserves so much more recognition than QT. Zaillian
can create a compelling and wonderful story, without resorting to ear chops
and Uzi blasts. Instead, he uses faces, words and silence.

He wrote and directed Bobby Fisher, of which I feel the first 20 minutes
could be some of the greatest film making I've seen. What a setup!

Okay, enough. I'm doing what I said the others do - drooling. What do you
think of my man and his work?

Thanks

James