SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
cynthia fuchs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 1994 08:51:54 -0400
i think that the terms we're using need some clarification. what is
glorification? what is violence (for example, it's not equivalent to war).
as to platoon or glory: both are certainly romanticized versions of supposedly
historical relationships among u.s. troops. the chris/sheen/stone character
has a very pretty relationship with elias/dafoe, so that elias' death is
magnified emotionally for the audience, etc. this is filmic realism, not
 reality. glory works similarly: that final image of washington and broderick's
dead bodies in the pit together: ah the humanity. this is romantic, not
necessarily glorified. rambo, norris: these are easy targets, which doens't
mean that occasionally they don't open up interesting, problematic topics.
both are einvolved in interracial relationships with women, for example....
my point is, it doesn't seem useful to make easy divisions: these are good
and these are bad representations, or to say that glorification is per se
a bad thing. what's going on seems more complicated than this.

cindy