SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
"J. Cigliano" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 1994 23:12:25 EDT
J Roberson posted on"The Glorification of Violence"

>The trick about NBK (though I haven't seen it) seems to be that the
>protagonists are evil, bad people - mass murderers. Yet, because they are
>protagonists, we identify with them to a degree and when they kill, we
>share in their triumph even though revolted at their actions from an
>objective point of view.

Good drama, film or theatre, asks the audience to identify with the
protaganist, good tragady then punihses the hero for the acts he commited due
to his personality flaw (King Lear's vanity led him to believe he could eat
his cake and have it to, break up the kingdom and still be king).  This is
the contrdiction, the moral, the point; it must educate and entertain.
    What is the point of identifing w/the caracters in N.B.K., do we learn
from there vainity, are they punished for there greed:
   Or are we punished for identifing with them, by feeling guilty and
revulsed for there actions?  Is this a new kind of drama emerging, a "not
tragady",  a tragady where we have the tragic flaw and not the hero?
I'm know I don't like it, but I guess I can't stop it.
Joe Cigliano