SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
"Robinson, Marlyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 1994 16:21:00 CST
Several suggestions for films depicting the client and therapist
relationship, or for that matter, any film with specific themes or types of
characters:

Steven Mintz, at the University of Houston, has created a gopher for film
resources on Internet.  It includes a number of film databases which are
searchable by keyword.  To get into it:  the e-address is:
gopher://gopher.UH.EDU/11/Colleges/HFAC/History/Guide to FTV Resources
You can also get to it by gophering to Texas, then to University of Houston,
and then following the menus from Colleges to the Guide.

The Dialog database Magill's Survey of Cinema can be searched by descriptor,
in this case, de["psychiatry and psychiatrists"].

The American Film Institute Catalog, although available only for certain
decades, has wonderful indexing for professions.

And for a fairly frothy look at the profession, I would suggest the film
Carefree, 1938, an Astaire/Rogers vehicle, in which Ginger, the fiance of a
stuffy lawyer, goes to Fred, the psychotherapist, for counseling.  Of
course, we all know how that will wind up.

Marlyn Robinson
University of Texas School of Law