SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Randy Riddle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 14:43:19 -0400
On Fri, 23 Sep 1994, Pam Wilson wrote:

> I'm exploring some issues of active audiences and fandom, and am
> particularly interested in the intersections between fandom and
> tourism. I thought I would see if some of you might know of
> tourist sites which owe their popularity to films or TV series.

A visit to Mount Airy, NC should be at the top of everyone's list of
surreal vacations.

The small town in the Piedmont area of NC is the birthplace of Andy
Griffith and home to the Andy Griffith Theater.  The town was supposedly
an inspiration for the one seen in his TV series (he made references of
"Mt. Pilot" -- in reality a state park nearby and to the "Snappy
Lunch"--the oldest storefront in the small town).

The town really plays up the Andy ties as much as possible -- strolling
down main street, you'll see a plethora of opportunities to buy tee
shirts (a parody of Warhol's Marilyn done with Barney Fife is popular) or
hats (you haven't lived 'til you've seen a ball cap with Aunt Bee's face
on it).  They have an annual festival ("Mayberry Days") and a Andy
Griffith TV Watcher's Club with a periodic newsletter.

Many members of the cast and crew have visited and you'll see
signed pictures in almost every store in town.  (The Snappy Lunch has a
whole wall of Andy memorabilia.)  Believe me, these shopkeepers will take
every opportunity to tell you everything never wanted to know about
Mayberry, Andy, Aunt Bee, Opie, etc.

I took a friend from Canada there -- his friends didn't believe it until
he showed them the postcards from the Snappy Lunch and Floyd's
Barbershop.  While visiting there, he said he felt like he was trapped in
Stepford.

What made it more surreal is that I have red hair, freckles, am going
bald, and have aspirations to direct films...

"Just call me Opie," he said with a glazed expression.

Randy A. Riddle