SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Susan C Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan C Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 10:00:13 -0700
This isn't connected to a particular film, but I came across the
"Stuntmen's Hall of Fame" in Moab, Utah a couple of summers ago.  This
place is filled with old photos, cowboy boots, etc. of famous, but mostly
not so famous, Hollywood stuntmen.  Not a hugely popular site, as far as
I saw, but there were signs for it on the main drag and the cast and crew
of _Geronimo_ had recently cast their footprints in wet cement for the place.

A rafting guide, whose job it was basically to talk to us for a couple of
hours, seemed very aware of the area as John Ford country and a place
where lots of car ads get shot.  He even directed us to Dead Horse Point,
the place where Thelma and Louise took the plunge.  But there were no
signs or markers flagging it for tourists.  This stuff seemed more word
of mouth in Moab.

Also I remember seeing signs for locations from _Dances with Wolves_ near
the black hills a few years back.  But I didn't stop.

I also recall having the Exorcist steps pointed out on a tour bus trip
through D.C. in the early 80's.