SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Randy Riddle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 09:08:48 -0400
On Fri, 23 Sep 1994, Ian Duncan wro

> I would be interested in hearing some suggestions as to how a distinction
> can be made between the study of individual music videos and of music channels
> such as MTV.  The (few) articles that I have read seem to confuse the two -
> it seems to be impossible to talk about music video without mentioning MTV
> at some point.  Does music video as it is experienced by most people only
> exist as part of a televisual flow?  Or do we think of music videos as
> individual works of art?

How do authors regard films such as "Baby Snakes", "200 Motels",
"Hard Day's Night", "Magical Mystery Tour" as prototypes of the art
form?  Or, for that matter, has there been discussion of musical
performances within television programs in the 1970s before MTV (Ed
Sullivan and Sonny and Cher come to mind -- S&C had some songs set to
animated pieces, if I recall).

Also, one might look at approaches to rock film musicals:  "Listzomania"
or "All This and WWII" come to mind.

Randy A. Riddle