SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Ian Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 13:36:49 +0100
One very useful anthology on music video is _Sound and Vision: The Music
Video Reader_, edited by Simon Frith, Andrew Goodwin and Lawrence Grossberg.
It's published by Routledge in the UK and US.

A very interesting comparison can be drawn between some of the approaches in
this collection and the large number of critical accounts that place music
video firmly within the postmodern.  Andrew Goodwin's essay in particular
takes issue with theorists such as John Fiske and Marsha Kinder who seem to
see music video purely in terms of images with no particular meaning.
Goodwin points out that the objects of study are MUSIC videos and must
therefore be analysed in the context of both the words and music of the songs
that they accompany.  What might be seen as postmodern is therefore re-read
as part of the structure and form of a song.

I think Marsha Kinder's essay on music video and dream can be found in
Horace Newcomb's anthology _Television: The Critical View_.

I would be interested in hearing some suggestions as to how a distinction
can be made between the study of individual music videos and of music channels
such as MTV.  The (few) articles that I have read seem to confuse the two -
it seems to be impossible to talk about music video without mentioning MTV
at some point.  Does music video as it is experienced by most people only
exist as part of a televisual flow?  Or do we think of music videos as
individual works of art?  Does it depend on the particular video or group?
Does this question have any bearing on the difference between watching MTV
and listening to music on the radio?

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

Iain Duncan
Film and Television Studies/English Literature
University of Glasgow