SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Ina Bertrand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 16:10:46 +1000
These are very brief answers to complicated questions. I suggest that if
you want to pursue this further you contact me direct instead of on the
network.

 Anyway, re documentaries, three obvious possibilities:
*For love or money* 1983 (d. Megan McMurchy, Jeni Thornley) - a history of
women and work in Australia from pre-settlement to the eighties
*Thanks girls and goodbye* 1986 (d. Sue Maslen) - the story of the Women's
Land Army during World War 2
*Red Ted and the Great Depression* 1994 (d. Ross Fitzgerald and Pat
Laughren) - the story of Ted Theodore who was a MP for Queensland and then
the Commonwealth during the twenties and thirties.
There has been quite a bit written on each of these...

Re: Women's films
Again, the list could go on for pages, but perhaps the easiest way would be
to consult one of the source books:
Andrew Pike & Ross Cooper (1980), *Australian film 1900 - 1977*,
OUP/Australian Film Institute
Scott Murray (ed) (1993), *Australian Film 1978-1992* , OUP/Cinema Papers
These are written as encyclopaedias, with a separate entry on every feature
film produced in the periods covered, and it would be simple to trace the
women directors and/or the films with storylines about women. You would
then have to find out what was available on video...

Good luck.

Ina