SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Stephen Best <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 1994 11:45:02 -0400
Regards to all,

I'm new to this list, so if the following request is
inappropriate or ill-conceived, please accept my apologies.

It's been ten years since I've been active in film and
television production, in the various capacities of producer
(TV & film), director (TV & film), cameraman (film), and
editor (TV & film).

Since that time a great many changes have taken place.  One
of the most important ones, it seems to me, is in the area
of distribution.  A decade ago distribution was confined for
the most part to theatrical releases, network television,
and some 16mm educational sales.  Today with satellite, Pay-
TV, video, and cable, the means of distribution are much
greater.  And, with what seems an order of magnitude drop in
production costs on the television side, the possibility of
producing programming independently at very low cost,
securing distribution, and making a profit may be a very
real possibility.

Working on the assumption the above is correct, I've begun
working on producing a series of very low budget features
with the intent of releasing them direct to videocassette.
The scenarios under consideration so far are directed at
families, children, and teenagers and range from teen horror
to a comedy based around a family farm.  With this in mind,
I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts concerning the
following, presented in no particular order of importance:

1.  Directories, reference publications, resources,
associations, consultants, etc. concerning current feature
film distribution channels or methods.

2.  Suggestions regarding medium.  Is it necessary to shoot
on 35mm as it was a decade ago or is Super 16, or video tape
acceptable for productions produced only for VHS tape
distribution.  If production can proceed using video, what
minimum format would be required.  Would Betacam SP be
acceptable, for example?

3.  Is producing a feature primarily for home videocassette
distribution only, a reasonable business premise to start
with?  In the best of all possible worlds, I'd like to be
able to recover all costs and make a small profit with the
sales, distribution, and rentals into the home videocassette
market, with any television sales being gravy.  Feasible?
Reasonable?

4.  The names of companies producing features for primarily
videocassette distribution.  Names of companies handling
videocassette distribution.

The above are starting points presented by someone who is
now utterly naive about the new realities in the film and
television business, any hand holding would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards and thanks
--
Stephen Best              | Tel: (519) 925-3440
PO Box 988                | Fax: (519) 925-2003