SCREEN-L Archives

August 1994

From:
"D. S. Cunningham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 1994 20:19:27 PDT
and one thing we're all forgetting here--one major concern of most of the
blockbuster f/x extravaganzas is...

A M U S E M E N T  T H E M E  P A R K  R I D E S ! !

yet another ancillary market which you cannot reproduce at home and wherein
the technology of the thrilling f/x can be used and make even more $$$$ with
virtually plotless spectacle. Jurassic Park was in part an investment in
something far more potentially profitable (I shudder to think it). The
Flintstone ride is already in operation at Universal, along with Backdraft,
BAck to the Future, and yes, Jaws still attacks the backlot ride.

Was it Ben Stiller who did that fabulous parody "Oliver Stone Land"? Can it
be far away?

just a side note, one of my students (working retail at Disneyland this
summer) dropped me a note the other day--I knew the merchandising for THE
LION KING was shameless but they actually have a LION KING shaving kit. For
the life of me I can't figure out who the market for that is...

good thread all--lots of interesting contributions.

Donna Cunningham