SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 1994 08:27:10 -0600
I did not mean my question to pose a direct criticism in terms of the film's
"accuracy."  I still think there are plenty of other reasons to criticize it
(mainly boredom!), but I did find it intriguing how "historical" elements
are altered for dramatic purposes.  Nothing intrinsically wrong with that--
artists have been doing it since at least the time of Homer (whoever she was),
but it does become problematic perhaps in a film that attempts to "capture"
an era.  At least GUMP was somewhat more honest about the complexities of the
'60s than many other renditions of the era (such as the awful 1969 with
Kiefer Sutherland).  If Pauline Kael could rip THE PIANO for being "smug"
in a feminist way (a point I disagree with), certainly GUMP is smug about
its "enlightened" attitudes as well.  Watch for George Wills' critique!