SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Shawn Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 1994 08:50:12 -0700
On Wed, 13 Jul 1994, Stephen Brophy wrote:

> Actually, I saw a new edition of this invaluable reference in my
> local bookstore last weekend. Up to now I have used most frequently
> the _Encyclopedia of Film_ by James Monaco and the editors of
> BASELINE, but a new Katz will almost certainly change that.

The new Katz is a godsend. BASELINE is an *extremely* innacurate text:
I have the first edition, and it completely omits an entry on Howard
Hawks, for instance (I swear this is true; sometimes I check for the
millionth time to make sure I'm not out of my skull). Not only has the
new edition of Katz caught up with the careers of filmmakers and artists
whose careers were ongoing as of the last edition (and, of course, added
new names), it has gone back and filled in gaps the previous volume had
left open (none so embarrassingly yawning as Hawks!) and expanded its
coverage of national cinemas, business of film info, etc. It's nearly
300 pages longer than the last edition and in smaller print throughout,
so it's almost 150% of the old one.

Of course, it can never keep up with Colin Needham's miraculous on-line
Movie Database in Cardiff, but for those of us with a sentimental
attachment to the bound word, it's essential.

    Shawn Levy | "Bats have no bankers and they do not drink
                     | and cannot be arrested and pay no tax
 [log in to unmask] | and, in general, bats have it made."