SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Errol Vieth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 1994 15:53:39 +0000
Lee Elliott wrote with reference to being correctly orthodox:
>Cameron seems to have a kink with this sort of thing, after all, in
>Terminator 2, Dr. Bryson, although a well-educated black man, is
>ultimately responsible for the death of humanity and the mass production
>of super-spohisticated, killer cyborgs (with an Aryan accent!).  Bryson,
>the movie's sole black man, must die so that our white heros, and the
>rest of the world, may continue with their lives.

Whatever we do we cannot have intelligent black men in films.  If we do,
then their intelligence must always be pure, and never misused.  We cannot
show them as having to deal with the consequences of their power.

And we cannot show him as sacrificing his life for the benefit of white
folks and his own wife and child.  He must be a hero in other ways.

Hmmm.  Isn't there something weird about this, Lee Elliott?

What Cameron cleverly left unsaid, is the question as to who owned the
company.  Is that too subtle for a politically correct viewpoint?  If
Cameron had a point, it was that the control is held not by one colour or
gender, but by the often faceless corporate owners/stockholders.

Errol Vieth