SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 1994 12:34:23 EDT
Kurt G wrote:
>>"To say that entertainment ought to be exempt from analysis, or necessarily
excludes politics, is to utterly miss what entertainment is."<<
Actually, I don't think that's what Denise or Guy were saying. I agree with
the idea of study and analysis of entertainment and that, yes, most
statements have political context. But there is such a thing as seeing more
than is there. And things can be over-analyzed.
Especially in the world of film, entertainment is most often the primary
purpose. And while the medium educates and corroborates, it's not *always* a
propos. For a viewer to see more than is there is as bad as ignoring what is
there.
But, now that the can is open: what IS entertainment?
Sincerely, Chad Dominicis, Miami, FL.