SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
"Brian L. Tanner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 1994 09:43:14 EDT
Following these recaps of previous posts I do have a message for everyone, so
bear with me.

In the original post "Medieval/Food in Film" Christine Owen writes:
  "This may be a real long shot, but here it goes. Does anyone know of
films set during the Middle Ages that contain sceens of people eating? I
have found a couple: The Adventures of Robin Hood, If I Were King, and A lion
in Winter. If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate them. Thanks.
Christine Owen
The Sage Colleges Library

Later, in the post "Medieval Pursuit/Trivial Food" Allan writes:
"perhaps all these diligent postings RE medieval food scenes might be
more useful posted at the local video store where those of us at a loss
for an evenings entertainment could be blown away by a pre-historic meal
or two or three either that or we might market a sub-section of this
list specializing in arcane subject matter perhaps starting with when
did Chevys first appear in films or why car did Bogart drive the
possibilities are endless. N??<E
allan"

To recap, the first three points in the Screen-L guidelines:
1. SCREEN-L is designed for persons teaching, researching, and
   making film and television--whether they are film/TV
   educators, students, professionals, media librarians, or
   self-schooled fans. Discussion, therefore, is invited
   regarding film/TV criticism, theory, history, production
   issues, and teaching.

   In other words, SCREEN-L messages should somehow relate to
   the >study< of film and TV, not just the casual enjoyment of
   these media. This is interpreted rather broadly. Postings
   to SCREEN-L need not be dry, didactic treatises from which
   all joy has been crushed. But also, they should not noodle
   on about, say, the poster's penchant for full-lipped actors.

2. SCREEN-L messages should maintain a sense of collegial
   respect for SCREEN-L's subscribers, even when disagreeing
   with the opinions of others.

   Personal attacks on subscribers will not be tolerated.

3. Identities are not always clear from the headers sent with e-
   mail messages. It's always a good idea to sign your message
   with something more human sounding than your e-mail address
   (e.g., I use "Jeremy" or "Jeremy Butler" rather than just

I know that some people's quest for knowledge, whether it be for a school
paper or for a library researcher, might seem trivial to some people,
however, this should be kept to oneself in respect to others. It would be a
tragedy to discourage people from gaining information about cinema, film, and
TV via this mailing list since it exists for those people who want to talk
about and learn about those topics.

On the other hand, when such a question is sent out perhaps people could send
their replies directly to the person asking (as I have done with the lawyers
and the food), rather than deluging 500 + people's mail with information only
one of us wanted. If the original sender wanted to compile a list of films
suggested to him/her, somehow telling us which films were the most beneficial
to him/her (perhpas by placing *) to get us on the right track, that would
help too. This might eliminate a lot of repeated movies and prevent us from
spending extra time to download/read mail.
Also, I would have responded about the sensitivity thing directly to Allan
but he didn't leave his email address, but I guess it's a good thing to
remind everyone about.
Thank you for your time.

Brian L. Tanner