SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
benjamin rule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 1994 00:43:06 -0400
        Denise Bryson has made a good point about True Lies.  It's a fun
movie!!!! Sure you can analyze it to death with all those non-aesthetic
factors such as the director's life or actor's life or even tie it in with
current events such as the idiotic O.J.Simpson case. But, please remeber
that this is Hollywood glitz at its finest. So basically it is in a
different class of film - the popular art rather than the fine.
        It is true that Cameron's films contain certain common threads
which could possibly be brought into a discussion about "what it all
means". It's Hollywood though!!
         Jim is one of my favorite Hollywood directors because when I go
to see his films I'm not going to give a damn about a social or political
statement (although he has attemted these as well as Hollywood can do it)
I can expect a thrill a minute technical feast for the eyes. And this
film was no exeception. The FX were outstanding. Digital Domain has
established itself along with powerhouse ILM.
        No socio-political arguement against this movie will keep me from
liking it. In fact, I'm going again.
     || Action! _ ) __| \ |
  //||\\ /\ ) .....Ben Rule <[log in to unmask]>.......