SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
"John G. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 1994 11:59:35 -0700

        I would like to mention one aspect about television, especially
as contrasted with film, which follows the "psychology" line. Beside the
obvious, I've always wondered what is the essential difference between TV
and film is. And, from a psychological POV, it is...time.

        Television today(I think), exists as a place in time. It is
really a medium of time rather than a medium of artistic expression. In
other words, Monday night at 8:00, as a point in time that will exist
then, and then its gone forever. In this respect it mirrors our lives.

        I'm not saying that televison cannot be a means of artistic
expression, because occasionally it does. But psychologically, it has
become a part of our own rhythm patterns. We sort of breath in and out,
and television does too. So, I think its importance to us on an
emotional level is very strong. Sure there is a lot of crap, but it
paces our lives SO closely.

        I think we dismiss TV too quickly sometimes. Not because it is
frequently so bad, but because we are tied to it on a very deep level and
refuse to admit that it is.

---------------->from John G. Thomas ([log in to unmask]) <-------------------