SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Klaus Eder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 1994 20:42:54 +0200
>Date:    Fri, 17 Jun 1994 15:46:22 CST
>From:    "Ana M. Lopez" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Silent cinema before 1915
>... Aurelio de los Reyes has published
>two books on the Mexican silent cinema (in Mexico) and has an essay dealing
>extensively with these films in Pablo Antonio Paranagua, ed., *Cinema
>Mexicain*  (Paris: Centre Georges Pompidou, 1993) which will be published
>in English by the British Film Institute in 1995.

Paulo Antonio Paranagua (not Pablo - he is Brazilian by origin and lives in
Paris) has without any doubt arranged a beautiful retrospective of around
120 Mexican films which have been shown at the Centre Pompidou in Paris. This
was in 1992, and his book "Le cinema mexicain" was published the same year. It
has a lot of material (a dictionary of mexican cinema, filmographies, bio-
graphies) which can also be used by people who do not speak French fluently.

The best source, however, is the "Historia Documental del Cine Mexicano" by
Emilio Garcia Riera (beginning only in 1929). The new edition (nine volumes)
was published earlier this year. Emilio Garcia Riera is the founder of
"C.I.E.C",
the center of cinematographic research at the university of Guadalajara, Mexico.
He is an authority not only concerning Mexican cinema but also of the Mexican
period of Luis Bunuel.

By the way, the C.I.E.C. will hopefully join the Internet within a few months.

--- Klaus

PS: I do not know any other history of a national cinema which has nine (!)
volumes. Even the Soviets couldn't manage it (and they had a lot of facilities
and resources).

Klaus Eder Munich