SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

From:
Blaine Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 1994 20:30:52 EDT
Here's a sidebar to the request for overlooked films, which might
prove useful as part of the research process.  When I was a youth,
there was a magazine, published in Montreal, called Take One.  It
cost 25 cents and was worth at least $1.50.  (There is now another
magazine, published in Toronto, called Take One -- with permission of
the publisher of the original periodical, I hasten to add.  It's
relatively new on the scene, and is one of very few English-language
magazines published in Canada since the demise of Cinema Canada.  If
anyone is interested in subscription information, let me know.  But I
digress...)  It included as a regular feature a mini-column called
Overlooked and Under-rated.  It wasn't quite as brutally subjective
and individualistic (yet also entertaining and illuminating) as a
column, which appeared only once, as I recall, titled "Things We
Really Like."  The "Overlooked and Under-rated" column, at any rate,
could provide a little snapshot of some films that were perceived as
undervalued in their time -- in this case the late 1960s and early
1970s.

A related phenomenon, of course, was the irregular feature published
in Film Comment, So-and-So's "Guilty Pleasures," in which famous
people often wrote about obscure movies consdered bad, if they were
considered at all.  I don't remember if it was the first, but the
most vivid in the series for me was screenwriter David Newman's,
largely for the way he introduced Edward Wood into the, uh, canon.

Oh, hell.  Why wait for people to ask.  The address for Take One is
151 Golfview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4E 2K6.  A 3-issue
subscription for a Canadian address costs CDN$14.00; for the US,
USD$17.00, and for other international addresses a money order for
CDN$30.00.  (6-issue subscriptions cost double.  These people have
odd ideas about bargains.) Recent issues have included features on
M. Butterfly, Thirty-Two Short Films About Glenn Gould, and other
recent Canadian releases.  The recent issue, number 5, is dedicated
to articles on Race and Canadian Cinema.

Blaine Allan                           [log in to unmask]
Film Studies
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
Canada  K7L 3N6