SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

From:
Peter Sarram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 1994 10:37:12 +0200
>Stephen brings up a good point.  The way a shot is blocked and framed during
>production sometimes takes into account that border masking will be added
>later, either during post production, using the masks at the threater or
>added when put to video.  Occasionally, a masking error occurs (usually at
>theaters that don't mask properly).  Interestingly, because the aspect ratio
>between a theater screen (what the shot is intended for) and that of TV are
>different, some funny things happen.
>Guy

I saw _Crooklyn_  at the Chestnut Station Theater in Chicago and definitely
didn't notice any mike's floating around the top of the screen.
Regarding the funny things that happen when a film is transferred for video
release, I watched _The Grifters_ on videotape in Italy and must have
counted at least ten different instances where the mike was visible on the
screen. That film was known among us as the "giraffe" film -giraffe being
the Italian name for mike boom.
That's it. Just wanted to contribute my two cents on the discussion...
Cheers,

Peter Sarram
Northwestern University

ps. I thought Pekar on Letterman was very uncomfortable to watch. And that
is a very good thing on American TV which usually just pampers its viewers.