SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

From:
Patrick B Bjork <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 1994 12:58:41 -0500
I went to see _Maverick_ over the weekend expecting to experience another
moronic TV ripoff. The newspaper critics I've read give it a lukewarm
response suggesting that it is basically a feel-good movie, enjoyable
entertainment, etc., etc. but not much more than that.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by the postmodern Look of the film.
It is a pastiche of genres, very self-referential, with frequent
breaking of frames. I'd rather not spoil the film  for others who have
not seen it, but I'd be curious to know what others think about its
postmodern qualities.

-Patrick [log in to unmask]