SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 1994 07:56:25 CST
I've just discovered an unexpected bonus of SCREEN-L's new gateway to
Usenet:

SCREEN-L posts are now available on America Online through their Internet
services.  And I'll bet they can also be found on Delphi and other
commercial information services that provide Usenet access.

Here's what I found on AOL this morning:

AOL offers access to Usenet newsgroups (keyword:  NEWSGROUP or NEWSGROUPS,
I think) as part of their increasing connection to the Internet.

An AOL member may read SCREEN-L's newsgroup by going to the Newsgroup area
of AOL, and choosing "Add a Newsgroup."  Then he or she just types in the
name of SCREEN-L's newsgroup:  bit.listserv.screen-l.  Thereafter,
bit.listserv.screen-l will appear in the members list of his/her favorite
newsgroups and he/she may browse through SCREEN-L's posts at his/her
leisure.

This is *read-only* access, however.  Posts may *not* be sent to SCREEN-L
through bit.listserv.screen-l.

The advantage to this, for someone who must *pay* for their e-mail, is that
he/she may read *selective* SCREEN-L posts, based on their subject
headings, rather than receiving SCREEN-L mail in bulk.

Moreover, AOL and other pay-for-mail folks could subscribe to SCREEN-L in
*index* format.  Each day a list of all of SCREEN-L's posts would be mailed
to them--just an index, no messages.  Then, they could use the index as a
guide to whether they wanted to explore the messages themselves over on
bit.listserv.screen-l.

Intriguing, eh?

Assuming you're already subscribed to SCREEN-L, here's how to change your
subscription to index-only:

Send e-mail to [log in to unmask]  Do not send mail to

Send e-mail to [log in to unmask]  Do not send mail to
[log in to unmask]  (Yes, I know I'm repeating myself).  In the text of
your message, put the following:

set screen-l index

To change your subscription back to normal delivery.  Send the following:

set screen-l mail

Trouble?  Contact...

  Jeremy Butler                                  [log in to unmask]
  SCREEN-L Coordinator                         [log in to unmask]
  Telecommunication & Film Dept. * University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa