SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 1994 17:23:54 CDT
On Tue, 19 Apr 1994 08:39:34 GMT Bert Deivert said:
>>I'm curious:  what film/tv programs out there are integrating multimedia
>>and internet in their curriculum?  The University of Southern California
>>has a class bringing close textual analysis and multimedia together.  Any
>>others?

I know that Wadsworth is developing a CD-ROM disk (for IBM compatibles)
that will serve as a basic production "textbook"--though I'm not sure
if it's for video or film (probably video, though).  The project is
at the beta stage, as I understand it.  Ought to be appearing soon.

>interesting part is that papers will be left on a server so that other
>students may comment on their peer work. They will be using Word 5.1 and
>making comments that can be read but not seen on printout. Nothing advanced

Norton has released (I just got a demo copy yesterday) some software
that will facilitate this sort of paper sharing:  Norton Textra Connect.

It allows students to use the Textra word processing program to write
papers, but it goes beyond that.  The "papers" can be shared among a
class, or sent only to the professor and they can be commented on in
this split screen kinda deal by other students or professors.  It also
has an e-mail element so that messages can be sent among students or
to the professor.

It's, as far as I can tell, limited to IBM compats and runs in DOS
(or a DOS window in Windows).

A professor at the University of Alabama helped to develop it:  Myron
Tuman.  He could give you more info, if you're interested:

>by the Fall. I think it would be exciting for the students to have a forum
>where they could exchange ideas and experiences with students from other
>countries. Maybe it would be possible to set up communication between two
>basic film courses in different countries and have a BBS on one of the
>computers for communication and discussion as pat of the required
>curriculum?
>
>Anybody out there doing this already?

Almost.  I was interested in trying to use PMC-MOO (the journal
Postmodern Culture's "MUD Object Oriented") for conferences like this,
but I found the MOO environment inhospitable.  It would be simple to set up
an e-mail discussion group for students along these lines.  And doing
some sort of real-time conferences might even be possible, though
that's a bit more difficult.

Give me a buzz when you start getting students on-line.

      The Dadaist gave the bourgeois a sense of confusion and a distant,
      yet mighty rumbling, so that this bells began to buzz, his safes
      frowned, and his honors list broke out in spots.
                                            --Hans Arp

| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                 | BITNET   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |