SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Jordan Adam Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 1994 15:35:56 +0900
                From:  Jordan Stein
 I want to clarify my earlier argument a little. First of all, I don't
intend to bash the show. I do watch it every week. I realize that
non-western cultures are portrayed by the alien Bajorans, Vulcans etc. My
issue is that there are no earth humanoids portrayed with non- western
views, and I'm prepared to argue that the Native American episode did not
give a positive portrayal.
        I just think that we should ask questions about a future earht
where there is no internal cultural diversity. Between now and the 24th
century what are we supposed to assume happened to the cultures of Africa,
Asia etc, and what happened to the variety of religious belief that exist
on earth now. Why is it that anytime someone listens to earth music on
Trek, is it music that predates our own time by centuries? I am merely
questioning whether the Star Trek universe is an ideal utopia that we
should work towards.
                                                         Sincerely, jordan