SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 1994 15:42:22 EDT
* I would strongly dissuade anyone from renting Man Bites Dog from
* Blockbuster.  The only "choice" they offer their customers is an edited
* version of the film which deletes two crucial (if not disturbing) scenes.
* I remember watching that version not having seen the original and feeling
* jarred at points, as though something were missing.  When I went back to
* Blockbuster, I examined the box closer only to learn that a fast one had
* been pulled; in tiny print it said "unrated, edited version."  I then
* politely asked that my account be credited.
* My point is, Blockbuster has a strong history of censorship and it tends
* to carry either chopped up versions of "controversial" films or to not
* carry them at all.  I'm not telling anyone not to patronize Blockbuster
* (although I would highly suggest it),  but I choose not to and that is one
* of the reasons why.

I remember hearing that BB is seeking to gain editing rights to all films
they rent or sell. This sounds like a pipe dream, but with the strides
they're making in the way of shutting out other video dealer competition,
they may well be a formidable force.

Scary, scary. Even so, they still have by far the best selection. It's easy
for movie addicts like my wife and I to get bored with a smaller, more
eclectic store or chain.

--
Mark Bunster                      |I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Survey Research Lab--VCU          |