SCREEN-L Archives

March 1994

From:
Stephen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 1994 10:35:52 -0800
I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a course I'm preparing for
next year. Here is a short abstract of the course:

Explorations into the Relationship of Cultural Identity and Violence in
Cinema.
 This seminar course examines the evolution, treatment and impact of
violence and how this has affected the portrayal of cultural identity in
cinema. Seen as one of the fundamental obsessions of cinema, violence has
always been irresistibly attractive to audiences. We will discuss how the
politics of violence correspond to the politics of ethnicity. Arguments
for and against the use of violence towards ethnicity will be investigated
to gain an insight into the representation of identity in film.

If You have text, films or specific theories that would help, please
e-mail me an your help would be appreciated.