SCREEN-L Archives

March 1994

From:
Richard Prelinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 1994 06:50:26 -0800
With regard to film projection, we have an excellent film entitled HOW YOU
SEE IT, produced by Jam Handy Organization for Chevrolet in 1937. Although
it's a soft-sell ad for Chevrolets (Chevies appear throughout the film in
unpredictable places) the film explains persistence of vision and the
workings of the projector in an amusing and well-thought manner. It also
offers food for thought for those who may be concerned with the
phenomenology of movie projection, the construction of spectatorship, and
the centrality of the car in American culture. All this, in a mere 7
minutes. I'd be pleased to send you a tape if the Cinematheque wants to
consider using it in the show.

Rick Prelinger
Prelinger Archives, New York