SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Timothy Panton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 1994 09:36:54 --100
I have yet to see Schindler's List, but I have read the book
"Schindler's Ark" on which it was based. From the comments
I've read on this screen-l I'd guess that Spielberg has given
a faithful treatment of the book.
        I remember feeling shocked at the way that Schindler
treated his dealings with the Germans as if he were playing
cards, not saving lives. But, but, but he did manage to save
lives by his tricks that could not have been saved by openly
standing up and "being counted". Does the end justify the means?
        Schindler's relationships seem to have been unsatisfactory,
but again perhaps the flaws in his charater were exactly those
atributes that allowed him to fool the Germans in to thinking
he was on their side.
        I finished the book with the feeling that wartime
heros are not model peacetime citizens.
        By the way, as I understand it the basic facts of the film
are all true. Only the charaterization is fiction. In particular
the numbers of human lives _saved_ by Oskar Schindler are correct.
Tim.

----- End Included Message -----