SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Stephen Brophy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 16:32:26 EST
  How appropriate that the monthly guidelines should arrive the same
day that I temperately (I thought) asked that people gossip about the
Olympics off-list.  I quote:

        "...SCREEN-L messages should somehow relate to the >study< of
film and TV, not just the casual enjoyment of these media.  This is
interpreted rather broadly.  Postings to SCREEN-L need not be dry,
didactic treatises from which all joy has been crushed.  But also,
they should not noodle on about, say, the poster's penchant for
full-lipped actors."

  Believe me, I can tell the difference between a discussion of the
media coverage of a sports event and trivial speculation about whether
a notorious athlete is a mean person for not attending the closing
ceremonies.  I was responding to too many postings of the latter.
I have no interest in trying to serve as an officer of the "thought
police" on this list, but I'm getting tired of all the litterbugs on
this information superhighway.                  Stephen Brophy