SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Joshua Lenius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 16:32:21 CST
Here's how the ear-cutting scene in Reservoir Dogs was originally written...
Notice the original POV...

----------

COP'S POV

Mr. Blonde walks away from the cop.

             MR. BLONDE
     Let's see what's on K-BILLY'S
     "super sounds of the seventies"
     weekend.

He turns on the radio.

Stealer's Wheel hit "Stuck in the Middle with You" PLAYS
out the speaker.

Mr. Blonde slowly walks toward the cop.

He opens a large knife.

He grabs a chair, places it in front of the cop and sits
in it.

Mr. Blonde just stares into the cop's/our face, holding
the knife, singing along with the song.

Then, like a cobra, he LASHES out.

A SLASH across the face.

The cop/camera moves around wildly.

Mr. Blonde just stares into the cop's/our face, singing
along with the seventies hit.

Then he reached out and CUTS OFF the cop's/our ear.

The cop/camera moves around wildly.

Mr. Blonde holds the ear up to the cop/us to see.

Mr. Blonde rises, kicking the chair he was sitting on out
of the way.

INT./EXT. WAREHOUSE - DAY - HANDHELD SHOT

We follow Mr Blonde as he walks out of the warehouse...

..to his car.  He opens the trunk, pulls out a large can of gasoline.

He walks back inside the warehouse...

INT. WAREHOUSE - DAY

..carrying the can of gas.

  And so on...  :)  So it wasn't planned that the camera pan off of the cop
until later on...  And originally, the whole scene was supposed to be seen
from the COP'S POV...
  Cool, huh?  :)

  Josh from Madison, WI