SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

From:
Net Art Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 1994 11:29:24 -0200
We are a group of artists and researchers interested in the use of the
network and multimidia/hypermedia technologies as support for new forms
of artistic expressions. We are setting up a project, called TeleEyes,
to  explore these technologies, looking at them as one might do with a
camera, a sheet of paper, or a projector when seen as a medium through
which one can make art.

Our proposal is: During the first month, we invite people to send us a
short message (two paragraphs maximum), in their language of preference,
with a description of what they see through a "window" of their choice.
Each person is free to decide what his/her "window" is - it could be a
room window, an office window, a car window, a tv screen, a washing
machine glass, a microwave oven viewer, etc...

Each person may send more than one message, and each message may
describe a different "window" than a previous one sent by that person.
After this first phase, depending on the material we receive, there are
several possible developments that we intend to pursue:

 - Build an installation, a big panel with windows, much like a building
facade. In each window, descriptions will scroll slowly over time,
similar to the changes in scenery that occur throughout the day in
"real" windows. The relative locations of windows, and their contents,
will be determined by the contents of the material we receive;

 - Establish navigable connections between descriptions - there are many
possible different effects during navigation;

 - Create a network of "live" windows - In the panel described above,
allow text to change as people send in new descriptions;

 - Allow interaction between the spectator and the sender of the text;
 - Create images "evoked" by the descriptions received, to be integrated
into the panel;

As you can see, the possibilities are endless...
If you are interested in participating,
SEND YOUR E-MAIL MESSAGE to [log in to unmask]
You will receive an acknowledgement, and will be kept informed (if you
wish) of the developments.

This initiative is led by
Sandra Kogut - videoartist, works with video,
film and installations since 1984. Currently working in Brazil, France
and Japan. Has won several prizes in Festivals in Europe, USA and
Brazil. Her last work (PARABOLIC PEOPLE) was made out of the
installation of videocabins in 6 different cities where people were
invited to have up to 30 seconds alone with a camera.

Daniel Schwabe - PhD, UCLA, 1981,
Associate Professor at the Department of Informatics of the Catholic
University in Rio de Janeiro, has been investigating authoring
methodologies for hypermedia systems, and the effective use of
multimedia in information systems.

--
Net Art Project
Dept. de Informatica, PUC-Rio