SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

From:
"Ana M. Lopez" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 1994 12:52:30 CST
Dudley Andrew asked me to post this on Screen-L for him
------------------------------

Subject: NEH Seminar in French Film

From: Dudley Andrew <[log in to unmask]>

            IMAGES OF THE NATION IN INTERWAR FRANCE
                   NEH  SUMMER  SEMINAR

College teachers and independent scholars are invited to apply to
participate in this 7-week seminar in Iowa City.

        Dates: June 20-August 5, 1994
        Location: The University of Iowa
        Directors: Dudley Andrew and Steven Ungar
        Stipend: $3,600
        Application Deadline: March 1, 1994

Our seminar explores conceptions of literature and film in interwar France
with emphasis on rival attempts to renew culture and nation in a period of
political, economic, and social instability.  Activities to be studied
will range from book publishing, the popular press, and international
expositions to theater and the emergent technologies of radio and sound
film.  The prime objective of our seminar is to promote and assist
participants in their proposed research.  At the same time we will work as
a group to develop methods of inquiry sophisticated enough to read texts,
institutions, and events of various kinds in such a way that evolving
ideas about the nation and national identity can be recognized and
interpreted.  Films, particularly films dealing with life outside
France's borders (especially le cinema colonial) will be screened and
intensively discussed as the primary index for understanding conceptions
and anxieties about nationhood.

We welcome participants interested to work on issues of culture and nation
whether or not centered on 20th century France.  Naturally we expect to
involve teachers from departments of French, foreign languages, History,
literature, and Political Science, particularly if they have made use of
films in their teachin and research or have wished to try this out.
 We also welcome applications from academics and independent scholars
involved with anthropology, communications, art history, theater, and
music.  European modernism, colonialism, and issues of method related to
cultural studies are all areas of inquiry we will explore.  While a
reading knowledge of French is desirable, we will work throughout the
seminar with materials in English supplemented by French sources brought
to the table by those who work in that language.  We should emphasize that
over the years, the University of Iowa has gathered a phenomenal
collection of French films, journals, and other materials related to this
period.  All this will be open to participants.

For more information and application materials, contact us via one of the
routes listed below.  Please include your current mailing address and
telephone number.

                e-mail: [log in to unmask]
                Letter: Dudley Andrew and Steven Ungar
                        NEH Summer Seminar for College Teachers
                        Program in Comparative Literature
                        425 English-Philosophy Building
                        The University of Iowa
                        Iowa City, IA 52242-1408
                phone:  (319) 335-0330
                fax:    (319) 335-2930  attn. Dudley Andrew