SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

From:
Sandy Dwiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 1994 13:38:10 EST

> >  "Mark Freeman  [log in to unmask]"<[log in to unmask]>  writes:
>
> The distributor of the tape we got was Video Yesterdays, somewhere in Conn.,
> as I recall.  If you can't find it, message me at the office; I may have the
> address/phone.  Facets Video in Chicago may have been the vendor; they
> handle a lot of VY product.  Also: I can't remember the title of the tape;
> it's a collection of three film production-related pieces; the others aren't
> worth much.  The ACE piece is titled "Film Editing: Interpretations and
> Values," I think.
>   Teaching filmmaking can be tough.  When I did it some years back (in
> 16mm!!), I taught camera operation through very basic sets of exercises.
> But first I taught editing.  I'd give the students individual reels of raw
> footage (workprints of a short shoot I'd been on) and have them edit (after
> some instruction/demonstration in same); it worked very well, I thought.
> Many of the kids wanted to get right into CITIZEN KANE-style production, but
> I thought it might be nice if they know what a WS, MS, CU, CA, RA, EWS, ECU,
> and a shot sequence were before they went after an Oscar.  Some of the
 brighter
> ones eventually agreed; maybe they even stayed in the business long enough to
> make a living--or even a decent film.
> *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
> P.J. O'Connell            814-865-3333 (O) | You can always tell the
> Penn State University     814-865-3145 (F) | pioneers...by counting
> 205 Wagner Bldg.          [log in to unmask]  (I) | the arrows in them.
> University Park, PA 16802 76520,1360 (CIS) |

In addition to the Gunsmoke sequence (which I used to use as well when
I taught film AND also saw in film school) there was another short put
out by the ACE which used the film Twelve Angry Men.  It was also excellent
and showed how to build up tension through editing.  I don't remember what
the exact title was, but that might also be available.

+  Sandy Dwiggins               Internet: [log in to unmask]        +
+  Building 82, Room 111        Phone: (301) 496-7406                    +
+  Bethesda, Maryland 20892     Fax:   (301) 480-8105                    +