SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
"Daniel B. Case" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1993 15:40:39 -0500
Does anyone know of a sequence in any film that was originally shot without
dialogue, but which had dialogue added later (maybe a bad preview, or
producer pressure)?

There's some classically bad '50s sci-fi B-film (in the "Plan 9"/"Robot Monster"
league) in which the director lost the soundtrack, and instead of dubbing it
simply chose to save money by putting voice over narration over every scene.
I'm told it's funnier to read about than it is to actually watch.

Did anyone mention Russel Rouse's 50s THE THIEF?  (I thought it was
boring.)

No, but it's apt, so we can consider it mentioned. Is that the one about the
guilt of a communist spy in which, to highlight the isolation he feels from the
community, there is no human voice? (Not strictly a silent, but a major
prohibition-ranks with "Rope" (no editing) and "Lady In The Lake" (no subjective
shots) as interesting if failed experiments in film technique).

Daniel Case                            State University of New York at Buffalo
Prodigy: WDNS15D                        |                       GEnie: DCASE.10
                            Ceci n'est pas une pipe
[log in to unmask]                           [log in to unmask]