SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Daniel Bernardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1993 13:59:00 PST
Any takers?

I'm working on a paper for a seminar with Peter Guber, CEO of Sony Pictures, on
the ideological and ethical aspects of the design and the emerging impact of
new technologies on entertainment industries. I'm focusing on the film and
television industry. A concern of mine, for instance, is how the new digital
superhighway seems to be, at least in planning, bypassing various sectors of
the population -- not unlike the actual LA freeway system does.  The upcoming
mergers between the Baby Bells, cable systems and studios suggests that TV will
no longer be "free."  Monthly charges, coupled with the costs of hardware and
software, might put television out of reach for a growing number of unemployed
and working poor.  This, in turn, might have an impact on how films are made &
marketed (not to mention theories of subjectivity and discourse). Actually, it
seems to me that many of the issues surrounding these mergers are similar to
some of the issues film histories have discussed in relation to the MPPC.

I'm somewhat new to this topic, and so I would appreciate any insights into
existing literature as well as comments from subscribers.

Daniel Bernardi
Department of Film and Television
UCLA