SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1993 07:57:04 EDT
Isn't some of this talk about silent movies just a little bit romanticized?
i mean we are talking about the technical limits of an industry, not actual
critical or aesthetic choices, otherwise the contemporary silent films would
not be as infrequent as they are. (Has there been a *commmercial* silent film
released since since Brooks did Silent Movie?) i've always been under the
impression that the presentation of silent movies usually included a musical
background of some kind, at least when silents are reissued they usually seem
to come complete with a brand new performance of music written especially for
the movie (Gance's Napoleon). i don't know, it just seems like we're confusing
watching 8mm home movies with Melies et al., and those memories of living room
ambience with Cagian satori. Which may not be a bad idea. -mike breiner