SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Doug Riblet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1993 09:45:17 -0600
The best archival source for early Black-produced films, especially
those directed by Oscar Micheaux, is the Library of Congress.  Last
time I was there, one of the curators told me that the Micheaux
films were their most-requested titles.

I believe there is also an institute/research archive devoted to this
subject at one of the Indiana universities (perhaps IU).  A woman
from the institute gave a presentation and showed a recently
restored 1920s feature at the Los Angeles SCS conference.
(How's that for a woolly "I'm not sure, but..." Net
response.  Can anyone fill in the details here?)

Doug Riblet
University of Wisconsin--Madison  (7-1)